Graphic Service Operator
- Join a large dynamic, close knit friendly team
- 1 x full-time 12 month Maternity Leave position with potential for extension
- Bathurst and Surrounding areas
- Base Salary up to $90,253 plus Super
About the Role
Reporting to the Team Leader of Design & Communications, you will be responsible for carrying out the production operations of Pre-Press and Digital Printing. This primarily includes scanning, graphic design and imposition layout, electronic publishing, CTP (computer to plate) imaging technology, plate making, and web design/editing.
This role is based in Bathurst NSW in the Design & Communication Team.
The successful candidate will be responsible for designing and preparing layouts and artwork, manipulating images and text to meet production and design requirements while applying solutions to a defined range of problems associated with, and characteristic to, the print medium and digital delivery.
You will be required to produce art and imposition layouts for reproduction in print and electronic media, such as factsheets, maps, brochures, books, and websites, and for corporate identity programs, exhibitions, and advertising. While covering the design essentials this qualification has a focus on the preparation of design where the application is for print production. The role also provides some leadership and guidance to others with some limited responsibility for the output of others.
Design & Communications Team
The Design & Communication operators provide a range of services from graphic design/desktop publishing and imposition layout for printing work, to lithographic plate production. Our State-of-the-art computer-to-plate (CTP) workflow and colour management systems mean proofs and plates can be produced in less than an hour with 100% consistency.
The Design & Communications unit provides both softcopy and hardcopy products including scanning, digital prints, poster/display prints, factsheets, brochures, and reports. Design & Communications also provides web design, video, and photography services.
This is a fast-paced environment, and we are looking for someone with a positive can-do attitude who shows initiative, is collaborative, and continually raises the standards.
With an in-house print team, the Design & Communication team can work closely with Press Room staff and clients to ensure expectations are met in both hardcopy and digital products.
To be successful in this role:
- Highly proficient skills in Adobe Creative Suite and Graphic Design techniques
- Competent in Layout and Pagination techniques used in the print industry
- Competent skills & experienced in High End Scanning operations
- Competent in Digital Printing and Product output
- Knowledge of Trendsetter Computer to Plate (CTP) system (or equivalent) •
- Experience in Proofing System devices, colour profiling and colour management
- Ability to work in a dynamic team environment
- Sound time management and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills and strong attention to detail
- Experience in Digital Photography, web design/maintenance and video production
- Capability to build productive relationships and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders at all levels of seniority
- Ability to mentor and train staff and apprentices
- Certificate III in Printing & Graphic Arts discipline or equivalent qualification (Pre-press, Electronic Publishing)
- Relevant Australian Qualifications Framework Certificate III or higher
- A recognised "Certificate of Competency" in one of the above or a similar discipline from an interstate or overseas institution
- TAFE NSW Design Certificate III for Graphic Artist (or higher)
- TAFE NSW Associate Diploma in Photography or equivalent
About Spatial Services
Spatial Services, a division of the Department of Customer Service is the key provider of spatial land information services in New South Wales. Spatial Services' integrated framework connects the people of NSW to a comprehensive package of land and property services including property information, surveying, and mapping. Spatial Services' provides land information services to individuals, businesses, government agencies and non-profit organisations throughout NSW, Australia and internationally.
How to Apply
To apply, please ensure you include an up-to-date resume, and cover letter which includes your responses to the following two pre-screening focus questions. Responses for each question should be limited to approximately 500 words as relevant to the role.
1. Give an example of a graphic design related project you have played a role in successfully delivering. In your response clearly describe the role you played in that project including the situation, task, actions, and result.
2. Describe a situation where you have had to deal with a difficult customer or customer support situation? What was the situation, what steps did you take to address it and what was the outcome?
If you do require an adjustment during the recruitment process, please notify us on your application form.
A talent pool may be created from this recruitment action for future temporary or ongoing vacancies in roles with similar capability requirements.
Working at Department of Customer Service
The Department of Customer Service is a great place to work! Our values of accountability, trust, service and integrity drive our initiatives and culture. We support innovative programs in areas as broad as digital government, consumer protection and major public works. We are an inclusive organisation that celebrates diversity and flexible work practices and believe our people are our greatest asset.
Click Here to access the Role Description. For enquiries relating to recruitment please contact Tara Slattery via Tara.Slattery@customerservice.nsw.gov.au The Department of Customer Service is proud to be an EEO Employer who are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of all identities making us different and a true reflection of our NSW customers. As an inclusive workplace, we support various employee resource groups, practice flexible work and workplace adjustment. If you do require an adjustment during the recruitment process, please notify us on your application form.